Here’s some information about the Terms and Conditions of service with Linda Stewart Hypnotherapy. Plus some useful tips for getting the most out of your hypnotherapy sessions.
Hypnotic trance is a naturally occurring state of physical and mental relaxation which allows your unconscious mind to accept suggestions that are beneficial to you. This, combined with cognitive and other psychotherapeutic approaches can help you to unlock hidden resources and overcome deep rooted problems.
Hypnotherapy is not magic, although it can seem magical. It is, like most successful therapies, a partnership between the client and the therapist. In order for you to get the most from your therapy experience please consider the following:
My Commitment to Personal Service
- I aim to treat all of my patients with respect and courtesy and ensure, as far as possible, that every visit is enjoyable.
- I will undertake to determine the best therapy plan for you, and discuss this with you.
- I will explain my charges in advance of any treatment,
- I will listen to you when you talk.
- I will apologise to you and make amends if I don’t perform as promised.
- I will do my best to keep to time because all patients are important to me.
- I will inform you if I require your GP’s permission before treating you. Where it is considered to be necessary, it is in your best interest.
- I will keep confidential all information given to me, except in those circumstances where I am legally obliged. I will inform you if this is a possibility.
- I will discuss with you fully any changes I consider necessary to the therapy plan. This could be to reduce or increase the agreed number of sessions, or changes to the content of the sessions.
- I will agree a follow-up with you.
My Requirements of You
- I ask that you attend for your appointment at the time agreed, and accept that if you arrive too late for me to be able to complete the treatment planned, that you are rescheduled, or accept a short therapy session, to avoid running behind for following patients. For home visits, please be ready for the appointment, and be prepared to turn off your phone. Please do no arrange for deliveries etc during the appointment.
- I ask you to tell me if there is something that upsets you. That way I have the chance to put it right and apologise.
- I ask that you pay for your treatment at the appointment, unless other arrangements have been agreed.
- I ask that you be prepared to discuss your treatment with your GP, and ask for his/her permission if requested.
- I ask that you inform me of any prescribed medication or medical treatment you are receiving prior to the appointment.
- I ask that if I visit you in your home that you ensure no valuables are kept in the room used for therapy.
- If you have been receiving treatment from your GP or other healthcare professional I ask that you keep them informed of any improvement as a result of your therapy.
- Homework assignments given as part of your therapy plan. I would expect you to complete them or provide an explanation for not doing so.
- I ask that if you are happy with the service you have received that you recommend me to a family member, friend, colleague; and that you will let me have a written testimonial for me to show to others who are considering similar treatment. Confidentiality will be assured.
Payment for Treatment
- Payment can be made by cash or cheque at the appointment. Payment by electronic transfer can be made by prior arrangement. Unless previously agreed, payment is expected at the end of the therapy session.
- Free initial consultations are for the purpose of clinical assessment and for you to decide if hypnotherapy with me is right for you. The duration of the consultation varies from person to person but effectively covers the time up to our agreement to continue with therapy. If the free initial consultation immediately precedes a booked appointment the normal therapy fee applies to the therapy session. If it is decided not to continue, no fee is payable.
- Should appointments need to be changed I request 24 hours notice where possible. Should this notice not be given, without extenuating circumstances, I may revise my decision to work with you.
- I undertake to give you the best treatment that I can.
- To gain the greatest benefit from your treatment I recommend that the therapy plan be completed. Sometimes, the initial improvement seems enough, but unresolved issues may undermine the longer term benefits achieved. Similarly, initially, progress may not be apparent. This could be for a number of reasons, some of which may be outside of your immediate awareness.
- In the event that you are completely dissatisfied with the service you have received, a refund may be given.
- Children under the age of 16 are to be accompanied by a parent or guardian. In other circumstances, the client may be accompanied by another person.
- Therapy sessions may be recorded for the purpose of professional audit. You will be informed if this is the case prior to the session beginning. (Parts of the therapy may be recorded solely for use by you as part of your therapy, if you expressly wish it).
- The first appointment takes between 1 and 1½ hours. Subsequent sessions where required are around 1 hour.
If there are any items from the above that give you cause for concern or that you wish to discuss, please be aware that flexibility is a healthy attitude to encourage, and that extends to therapists as well.
British Society of Clinical Hypnosis Code of Conduct
I shall at all times conduct my professional activities with the propriety and dignity becoming a servant of the public. I shall not, under any circumstances, infringe the code of morality becoming my profession and shall not commit any breach of conduct that would adversely reflect upon myself, the British Society of Clinical Hypnosis, or upon my fellow practitioners.
I shall not, under any circumstances, offer or promise cures for any conditions.
I shall not give any performance or display that presents hypnosis as a means of entertainment (e.g. Stage Hypnosis).
I shall never enter into a sexual relationship with a patient under my care.
I shall endeavour to keep my patients’ affairs confidential, the law of the land not withstanding.
I shall accept that any patient referred to me by a medical practitioner remains the clinical responsibility of that medical practitioner and shall therefore agree to keep that medical practitioner and other relevant agencies up to date with written report(s) of the patient’s progress.
I shall under no circumstances advise my patients to discontinue any course of treatment as prescribed by a registered Medical Practitioner.
I shall at all times respect the integrity of other recognised health care professionals.
I shall not claim to have qualifications or credentials I have not earned. Neither shall I use designated letters to which I am not entitled. The title “Dr.” shall not be used unless I have a bona fide Medical or Academic Qualification from a Medical or Educational Establishment.
I shall not become or remain a member of any organisation that has been exposed to public scrutiny as dangerous or fraudulent or which in any way causes detriment to the profession of Hypnotherapy.
I accept the authority of the Executive Council regarding any breach of the above Code of Conduct. I understand that the Executive Council can suspend or terminate my membership for infringement of the above Code in accordance with Rule 5 of the Constitution of the British Society of Clinical Hypnosis.